Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Sandwich Bread


Tonight I made dinner for a friend that had in-vitro done today. I am so glad that Heidi reminded me about the Chicken Noodle Soup recipe. When I take meals to people I love to take soups because because it already has the vegetable in it. It seems like so much to do when you have to add veggies to a meal. Yum! So, this bread recipe is my most favorite bread. It is a little more dense than my other bread recipe so it works really great for sandwiches and french toast. Let me know if you have any questions.
Sandwich Bread
1 cup whole milk, warm
1/3 cup water, water
3 T. unsalted butter (I don't use unsalted butter so I just don't put as much salt in)
3 T. honey
3 3/4 cup bread flour, plus extra for the counter
1 envelope (2 1/4 tsp.)
2 tsp. salt
This is how I make it: I use a 2 cup measuring cup and measure 1 cup of milk and put it in the microwave for 1 minute. Then add the honey, hot water, and melted butter to the milk. In mixing bowl I measure the flour, yeast, and salt. I use 1 1/2 cups of white wheat and 1/2 cup red wheat and the rest white flour. Before adding the wet ingredients make sure that it is hot. If it's not hot enough put it in the microwave for 20 seconds and test. I like it to be almost too hot for my finger. When it is hot enough add it to the dry ingredients. When there is enough flour to make a nice dough knead for 10 minutes. Then knead by hand for 1 minute. Let rise in a greased bowl for 30-45 minutes until it has doubled. Punch out and place in a greased bread pan. Cover with greased saran wrap and a towel. Let rise till doubled, about 1 hour. When you heat your oven put a bowl of water in it. I'm not sure why but I think it helps keep the bread moist and makes the crust nice. Bake 350 for 22-26 minutes. I usually check it at 22 minutes and then cover it with foil so that I can cook it longer without the crust getting too dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment