Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Bread Bowls




I've had Mel's bread bowl recipe in my "box" for a while now. Since Jefferson has been off dairy, I couldn't think of a thick enough soup to go in a bowl that didn't require dairy. Well, he's doing well with dairy so far, so I made the bread bowls tonight with a potato soup.

Here's the link to the BREAD BOWLS. The only thing I didn't do is to put the cornmeal on the bottom, since it's corn that we think is giving Jefferson problems. I also learned that I need to NOT put them on an air bake pan (it's suppose to let your cookies not burn or get too crispy on the bottom). It made them get too soggy too fast on the bottom. I'll cook them on a regular cookie sheet next time.

My soup recipe was a mix of Mel's and one from Better Homes and Garden's cookbook:
(This made a very large batch)

Potato soup

12 Medium Potatoes
3 T. Butter
6 T. Flour
3/4 tsp. dill
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
4 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 tsp chicken bouillon (Better than Bouillon)
3 cups water, divided

Peel, cook (I cooked mine in my pressure cooker), and mash the potatoes with 2 cups of water. (depending on how chunky or smooth you like your soup, you can also blend them instead of mash them)

Melt Butter in large pot over medium heat. Add flour, dill, salt and pepper. Heat, occasionally stirring for 5-10 minutes until it starts to "relax" or be more liquid-like. Add the milk all at once and heat, occasionally stirring, until it is thick and bubbly. This always take longer than I think it should. I think today it was at this step for almost a half an hour before it was "ready". Add the potatoes and add more water as needed for the consistency you want.

We topped ours with green onions and cheese, but I was really wishing I had taken the time to fry up some bacon.

My older boys were souper excited about eating out of a bread bowl until it came time to eat the soggy bread. I remember not liking soggy bread when I was younger (chicken pot pies use to make me gag). But Benjamin, Jon and I LOVED them.

1 comment:

  1. I love the picture of Jon, it kind of looks like he is questioning eating it. The bread bowl with the soup in it looked beautiful!
    So a trick I learned with the bread bowl is to bake the bread bowl for a little bit after you pull the middle out of it. I have made Mels chicken cordon bleu bread recipe and it had that idea in it so if you want to look at that recipe it might help with the soggyness.

    ReplyDelete