Monday, January 30, 2012

Leftovers for dinner!



So, this one was kind of a left over meal. We had left over potato rolls from last night and I had Sloppy Joe mix in the freezer. I did try this time, toasting the buns with a little butter. It was so good. With the potato rolls it is a really soft roll so the sloppy joe mix makes the rolls soggy. The Toasting with butter made it not so soggy and who wouldn't love to add a little more butter to a meal? I do love mom's recipe for sloppy joes and it is a really great food storage meal, but I have wanted to try the sloppy joe recipe off of Mels Kitchen. So when I do I will let you know how it is. (Man, I want a better camera!!!)

Easy Potato Rolls

2/3 c. sugar
2/3 c. shortening
1 c. mashed potatoes(I mix up some potato pearls)
2 ½ tsp. salt
2 eggs
2 packages yeast
1 1/3 c. warm water
6-6 ½ c. flour

In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add potatoes, salt and eggs mix again.
In small bowl, dissolve yeast in 2/3 cup of warm water; add to creamed mixture. Beat in 2 cups flour and remaining water. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Shape into a
ball. Knead until it is a soft dough (5 minutes). Place in a greased bowl. Let raise till doubled about 30 minutes. Grease a cookie sheep and roll into balls and place on cookie sheet. Cover with greased saran wrap. Let raise till doubled. Bake at 375 for 18-20 minutes until the top is golden brown.

Sloppy Joe’s

Brown 1 lb. of hamburger
With 1 T. dried onions
Drain grease
1 can chicken gumbo
About a ½ bottle ketchup
1 T. mustard
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. chili powder

Simmer and stir for 20 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. I laughed when I saw the picture of Brandon eating. I can't believe he let you post that picture.
    Mmmmm Butter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that he knew that I was going to post that picture. Funny!

      Delete